Monday, November 21, 2016

Brugal Especial Extra Dry Rum

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that we Americans love sweet rums. I think they certainly have their place, but I like having dry alternatives, and here is a rum so dry that I could spill it on myself and my clothes would not get wet! I had a bottle a year ago, and I'm nearing the end of my second bottle as I write this. So it's not a product I buy often, but when I have such diverse tastes and interests, I don't buy most spirits often for the home.

Brugal Especial Extra Dry
Dominican White Rum
No age statement on the bottle, but promotional material states 2-5 years in American White Oak
40% ABV (80 Proof)


Color: Some white rums do have a tiny bit of color to me, but this one is crystal clear. According to both the pamphlet which came with my first bottle and the product's webpage, that's a deliberate result of triple-filtration.

Body: Medium. Very impressive legs! Nice tears. Leaves great rain-like specks.

Nose: Pineapple. Papaya. Hint of mango. Hint of banana. Something piney. Floral. Woody. White sugar. Black pepper. Vanilla.

Palate: Clean! Crisp. A dusting of powdered white sugar. Tropical fruits -- more papaya than anything. A nice peppery bite. Some bitterness. Creamy and mouth-filling, but light. Rich oak backbone builds in eventually. Vague hints of dark chocolate and coffee in the background.

Besides Sipping Neat: With my first glass from my first bottle, I started neat, then added a little bit of water, then a little bit more, and so on, re-nosing and re-tasting all the way. I recommend that. I also recommend experimenting with this for mixing. My favorite combination of this rum is with Fever Tree tonic water (my first pick is the "Naturally Light," with its fruit sugar softness, but the "Indian" also works...boy, have I gotten bougie).

Overall: A rum for vodka drinkers! For me, it is a change of pace rather than a staple, but I do consider it worth trying if you haven't already. You can probably find it for a reasonable price -- $20 + tax here in Pennsylvania -- which makes it all the more attractive.

Thank you for reading, and as always...Happy Drinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment